India Broadband Forum Feed


Best broadband in Kalamassery, Kochi

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 01:28 PM PST

Hi, Thanks for your reply. My MTS gives me maximum speeds of 200 kpbs, but most of the times it is below 100 kbps. I want a connection for home use for my family, specifically for skype to video chat. The clarity is bad and the connection gets stuck several times. I was wondering whether it is advisable to go for a bsnl connection in that case.

What speeds do you get from your bsnl connection and how far is your connection located from the exchange? My home is approx. 1 km from the kalamassery exchange via road and radially.

Need Advice from MTNL Mumbai users

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 12:40 PM PST

Hi,

I am currently on DSL_Unlimited_995_Combo. (Rent Free Phone with no calls included) @ INR 995 a month
Initially when bought, it was 1 Mbps unlimited fixed day/night down and up of 0.5 Mbps day/night. (NO FUP AT ALL)
Now 6 months later they have upgraded it to 1 Mbps unlimited fixed day, 2 Mbps unlimited night and upload of 0.5 Mbps day/night. (NO FUP AT ALL)

I'm presently quite happy as Night is now 2 Mbps. For now its okay, best bang for the buck for me at 1K INR.

Speed Test Below @ 1.15AM Night Speed 23rd November 2012


Now, I want to upgrade to a better speed connection from MTNL.

Currently, I have two choices.

A) Upgrade the DSL plan to this , Xpress Non Combo Unlimited 2000 (Add 200 or 250 INR + maybe for Telephone rent or something, not sure) @ 2000 to 2250 INR a month.
2 Mbps + unlimited fixed day/night down of 150 GB FUP per Month, 1.13 Mbps fixed day/night down NO FUP afterwards and upload of 0.5 Mbps day/night. (150GB FUP And then 1.13 Mbps NO FUP AT ALL)

Now, As you may see from the speed above at night-time, I understand I'm not entitled to 2Mbps+ even in the night as it's just an extra speed they are providing for night-time.
I can't really complain as the deal is 1 Mbps, but now they offer at night 2 Mbps which is about 1.45~1.75 Mbps to be approx, not close to 2 Mbps.

So, but increasing the plan and fee to +1-1.25K INR from presently, I may be able to upgrade to double the speed. I will be happy with 2 Mbps+ and 150GB FUP a month. I'm a heavy torrent downloaded too in some months, but I don't think to the mark of 150GB+ a month, so this should be sufficient. I'm really more excited if surfing, gaming ping and also YouTube & streaming videos will be faster than what i have now. I'm not sure with gaming ping increase as it has more to do with connectivity latency rather than bandwidth speed, so it may be the same but I'm okay with MTNL's below 30 ping for Indian gaming servers on steam.

Overall the upgrade will make me get 1 Mbps more and I have to pay 1000 to 1250 INR more, so its double the speed for the double the fee upgrade, using my same phone and DSL modem + setup etc.

B) Upgrade to FTTH plan and this one, Fibre Thrill 2590 (Add 200 or 250 INR + rent to also have my existing land-line for phone calls without the DSL, not sure of the rent)
20 Mbps + unlimited fixed day/night down & 10 Mbps upload total of 150 GB FUP per Month, afterwards 1.35 Mbps unlimited fixed day/night down & 1 Mbps upload NO FUP (150GB FUP And then 1.35 Mbps NO FUP AT ALL)

So, but increasing the plan and fee to +1.60-1.85K from presently, I may be able to upgrade to 19 times the speed. Off-course this is a dream speed for Indian Retail Standards so You can Imagine all the bells and whistles with the Internet experience on this and I'm sure the pings will be below 30 or maybe less who knows.

This is a thrilling deal compared to the first, but the problem is I don't live in a building, I live in a 2 floor house of Mhada colony and secondly, I'm not sure if its available. The Charkop Telephone Exchange is just less than 2 Kms away from here.
Also, I may need to Spend an additional 2,000 INR for setup and Fiber Modem, which is okay for the one-time.

So, on one hand I don't need to upgrade any equipment, just change the plan and I will get double the speed to 2 Mbps and Double the fee of 2000 INR & on other hand I will get 19 times the speed and Double and a half the fee of 2600 INR + Installation of 2000 one time.

Second Deal sounds good, But I think the Fiber is still in its infancy here in Mumbai and I may not be able to get it setup on the fly as just going and changing my DSL plan. If anyone in Mumbai or Charkop has taken FTTH plan please let me know.
Also if any of you guys are on the 2 Mbps express plans of DSL with MTNL, would like to know if the speed is as promised or better. Or if it will be just like that like my night-time speed promised 2 Mbps but getting 1.45~1.75 Mbps actual.

Lastly, Also if we do a rough calculation based on 150 GB FUP vs the Speed of the internet & Time for enjoying high-speed.

2 Mbps is approx 200 kbps download.

So 150 GB x 1024 = 153600 MB x 1024 = 157286400 KB
157286400 KB divide by 200 kbps download (2 Mbps Speed) = 786432 seconds divide by 60 = 13107.2 minutes divide by 60 = 219 hours divide by 24 = 9.11 Days worth of continuous torrent download to Deplete the 150 GB FUP.

20 Mbps is approx 2000 kbps or real 2 mbps download.

So So 150 GB x 1024 = 153600 MB
153600 MB divide by 2 mbps download (20 Mbps Speed) = 76800 seconds divide by 60 = 1280 minutes divide by 60 = 21.4 hours, which is obviously not even a complete day of continuous torrent download to Deplete the 150 GB FUP.

So, Is again the speed worth the FUP and the amount of time we may be able enjoy before its depleted for the month??

Then After FUP the NO FUP period

2 Mbps becomes 1.13 Mbps ( About 0.13 Mbps more than my max speed currently)
Upload is the same 0.50 Mbps (Same as currently)

20 Mbps becomes 1.35 Mbps (About 0.35 Mbps more than my max speed currently)
Upload becomes 1 Mbps (0.50 Mbps more than my max speed currently)

So I get for between 1000 INR upgrade and 1600 INR upgrade, the real unlimited speed gains after FUP in download of .13~.35 Mbps unlimited and upload speed of 0~.50 Mbps unlimited.

If I only wanted to download 150 GB on current 1 Mbps day and 1.45~1.75 Mbps at night with the 995 INR plan. It would be about half the amount of time extra on the first upgrade (Since Night is faster than day on currently) would be..
9.11 days divide by 2 and multiply by 3 = 13.67 days. Just 4.55 days more of waiting or keeping my machine "ON" to get 150 GB without any upgrade.

And the then the second upgrade would be about 12 days more to download the 150 GB as the 20 Mbps would deplete 150 GB is less than 24 hours.

Hmm, Is it all worth it?

Okay if I only intend to surf, play games & watch YouTube and Streaming videos but not download, Its a seems good deal for upgrade A and Great deal for Upgrade B.
But if I do decide to download, doesn't it seem really not worth the money for the FUP they have installed?? I'd only save four days of electricity on paying 1000 INR more and 12 days of electricity paying 1600 more, and I don't think unless your playing Games 24 hours for 14 days on a stretch, which would use up 500 Watts excess continuous would really affect my bill by 1k or even 1.6k INR to have the pc "ON" for 4 days to 12 days just for downloading 150 GB's??

Please let me know your views, feedback's or if you have any suggestions. All welcomed and appreciated!!

Regards,
Nick

PS: I'm paying additional 750 INR for reliance netconnect+ 2 Mbps speed and 5GB FUP & 0.14 Kbps NO FUP wireless internet too as a backup. (Only for Backup internet, not for real usage.)

Non-payment of Bills

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 12:11 PM PST

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeeshan Ansari View Post
Cant I tell them to charge me for the 2 months that I have used and deduct the remaining amount. Moreover i want to get rid of the connection . Is it still necessary to pay?

For full year subscription, According to BSNL if you disconnect inbetween then BSNL will charge on prodate basis. So by rules you only have to pay for the time you used the line before BSNL disconnected it.

So you only have to pay for 2 ~ 3 months max., data plan counts to highest 2000 Rs. here.

YouTube: Latest updates

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 11:27 AM PST

Really liking the new interface. Very fast and smooth.

Boss

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 10:58 AM PST

HBO is quite well established and has a history of many "Superhit" shows spanning more than a Decade.

Showtime has many shows like dexter, californication, weeds running for many years.

On the other hand Starz has just "spartacus". so it does not commands the same brand value has the other 2

MTNL Broadband: need best wifi router !!!!!

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 10:25 AM PST

I put this one DSL model + wif-fi router + normal wire router 3in1. TD-W8961ND - Welcome to TP-LINK
From 3 months and its fantastic, no disconnects and no problems.
Additionally have also put this TL-WA730RE - Welcome to TP-LINK
because usually wi-fi home routers only good for single floor house, but my house is ground and 1st, so signal is weak on ground floor as dsl router is upstairs,
So have a range extender installed for each floor your want WI-FI

Suits

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 10:06 AM PST

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babhishek View Post
Season 2 part 2 still left
?

Starts on Jan 17, 2013.

In2cable net 2MBPS unlimited (no fup) @ INR1340 per month!

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 09:59 AM PST

I'm happy for you. The speed is not the problem when I had in2cable, they do give more than promised too. It was with the downtime, I guess It could have been the branch that operates here in Kandivali maybe low-life's , Anyways I wont ever try a private player for my primary internet as I use it for my trading work, down-time during a serious trade means I may lose much much more than I pay for a ISP for the whole year in one go.

I'm currently excited about the new MTNL FTH service with 20mbps and 150gb FUP and then 1.30MBPS Unlimited for NO FUP plan, maybe will upgrade from mtnl dsl to fiber next year.